Thursday 25 September 2014

Year 12 Media Studies Student Questionnaire

GCSE Results
 
English Lit & Lang: C
Maths: B
Food Technology: B
Religious Studies: B
Science Double Award: C & C
ICT: B


Hobbies
 
The hobbies i enjoy are: Football, Gym and Sailing
 

Print Media
 
What newspapers or magazines do you read or dip into and why? for example entertainment, politics, sport, celebrity gossip and so on?
 
I don't regularly read newspapers or magazines but when i do it will be around the areas of sport.
 
Do you get this information electronically on social network sites, and if so why?
 
I mainly get my sport news from Twitter causing me not to have the need to read magazines and newspapers to find it out. I don't have an interest in politics or celebrity gossip but I'll occasionally catch up on the entertainment news on Twitter as well.
 

Radio Media
 
What radio stations do you listen to and why?
 
I'm a fan of listening to Radio 1 and BBC Radio Norfolk. The reason I like to listen to Radio 1 is that it doesn't often play that chart music that everyone is fed up of, but instead it plays new bands, like one of my favourite 'Coasts'. I listen to BBC Radio Norfolk when Norwich City FC play away, I like to listen to their commentary. 
 

Music Industry
 
What are your favourite genres of music?
 
My favourite genres of music are: indie rock, indie and alternative.
 
Do you belong in a band, if so what is your role?
 
I belong in a band named 'Tidal' we play indie rock music and I am the lead guitarist.
 
What is your opinion of illegal downloading of music off internet sites?
 
I have no opinion on illegally downloading music because in ways i see how its bad for the producers on the other hand for the consumer its a quick and easy way off getting the music they love.
 
Explain how the music industry might influence your dress code, attitudes and aspirations.
 
The music industry is a massive area, a huge percent of the worlds population look up to it and I believe your favourite artist is one of the biggest role models a person could have. For myself when I was in year 10 music changed my life, i used to like all the recent charts pop songs but one day my brother got me into the indie section of music. For me 'Two Door Cinema' front man Alex Trimble was my role model, my hair style, my dress sense and attitude was shaped around him, he made me want to start a band. The main reason why this happened i believe is that i wanted his success and how everybody loves him.


Video Games

Describe your favourite video game.

I play on a PS4 on occasion and my favourite game is FIFA, this is a football game.

Explain how video games may have a negative effect on attitudes to solution of conflicts.

Video games may have a negative effect on attitudes to the solution of conflicts because after playing games like 'Call Of Duty' and 'Battlefield' people may think that conflict can just be solved through war as those games place that image in their minds due to the constant themes of war.


Social Network Sites

Explain the pros and cons of social networking sites

The two main social networking sites I use are Twitter and Facebook and here is the pros and cons of those. The pros are: it's a quick and simple way of contacting friends, you can find out how distant friends are getting on with life and you can express some feeling about things on mainly twitter. The cons are: social networking sites are full of attention seekers making them all about the likes or the retweets or even posting about their depression and another con is they are just a waste of time I only use Facebook to contact friends.


Television

Which are your favourite television channels and why?

 My favourite channels are: BBC 1 because it plays 'Eastenders' and E4 because it plays all my favourite series such as 'The Big Bang Theory' and 'Made In Chelsea'

What is your favourite television genre and why?

I wouldn't say I have a favourite television genre as I watch anything that is on television half the time, such as documentary's, dramas and soaps.

Which are you two favourite television programs and why?

My first favourite television program has to be 'Eastenders' this is because I was brought up watching it every night and I have just grown to like it. My second favourite has to be 'The Big Bang Theory' I never used to like American series until the end of last year until I discovered 'The Big Bang Theory' and I have grown to like them due to their comedy, along with other series like 'How I Met Your Mother'.


Feature Films

Which is your favourite genre and why?

The genre I would say was my favourite has to be action mainly because the film are so grabbing and draw you in so fast but also the fact that there are so many action films to choose from you can never get bored of that genre

Identify 3 films which you consider outstanding.

Three films that I consider are outstanding are: avatar due to the fact that it made me go wow due to the 3D section as it was like nothing I've ever seen before. The second film is 'The Wolf Of Wall Street' mainly due to the brilliant casting of Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill. The last film I consider outstanding is 'Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2' as I think it was the perfect way to end the reign of Harry Potter

How do you generally consume films?

I normally consume films by just watching television and seeing what's on the channels, on occasion I will go to the cinema or watch a DVD to consume them.

Which is your favourite cinema and why?

My favourite cinema has to be 'The Castle Mall VUE' because it is so accessible from where my bus stop is, the price is the same as my next favourite 'Odeon' but its the fact that 'VUE' is closer

Do you prefer to watch films on your own or in a group?

I prefer to watch films in a group in a cinema because there is more atmosphere, but when I'm at home watching a film I prefer watching it alone.


Conclusion

Identify any media texts that has offended you.

The one thing that shot straight to my mind when this question arose was the scandal of Jeremy Clarkson making a racist comment on live television. I never get offended by anything in media but my anger towards him made me feel offended, as there was no need to say such a word on live television

In contrast identify the most interesting media text you have either seen or heard.

The most interesting media text I have heard has to be reports on the Syrian conflict at the time it was happening. When conflicts are happening I grow a love for the details of war and just like watching the news and hearing about what's happening.

Can you identify any text that has altered the way you think about the world?

This is not just one song but 'ALT-J' album 'An Awesome Wave' changed the way I perceived life as it just made me happy when I listened to it and I believe the music I listen to gives me the confidence I have now, without music I believe I would still be that shy boy that never dared to talk.

If you had the opportunity to construct a music video what message would you communicate about what it's like living in England for ordinary people

The bases of the music video would surround the bases of how corrupt Britain is, with things like the government and the whole issue around that, such as the political party UKIP trying to force us out of the EU what is the worst decision ever.



















 
 
 


 


1 comment:

  1. A satisfactory response which clearly indicates your interest in music.
    Target:
    1) Develop your ideas, for example you say that Britain is corrupt but you don't give an example of corruption or identify any politician, political party or government policy which you consider is dodgy!

    Could you please post under label G321 Preliminary Task.

    ReplyDelete